The Clevelander magazine, a publication that had undergone three major format changes since its inception, began as the organ of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce and later the Greater Cleveland Growth Association, had evolved from a monthly publication to a hardcover quarterly and finally to a monthly members’ newsletter.
The August 1964 issue of The Clevelander featured a cover story that highlighted the ever-changing landscape of Cleveland’s lakefront. The cover depicted the old Browns Stadium and the industrialization of the lakefront, reflecting the city’s approach to utilizing the lakefront at the time. This cover serves as a stark contrast to the current mission of the Green Ribbon Coalition, which aims to make the lakefront more accessible to people for recreational purposes and parks.
The Clevelander magazine premiered in May 1926 with a strong civic profile, featuring guest writers such as Wm. R. Hopkins, Newton D. Baker, Tris Speaker, Linda Eastman, and Bp. Joseph Schrembs. By World War II, the magazine had become more business-oriented, but still featured articles by civic figures. After the Chamber of Commerce transformed into the Greater Cleveland Growth Association, the magazine briefly became a hardcover quarterly in April 1970, with articles written mostly by professionals. However, this format was short-lived, and the magazine was converted into a monthly members’ newsletter by the Growth Association in May 1972.
The Clevelander’s August 1964 cover serves as a reminder of the city’s past approach to the lakefront and highlights the importance of the Green Ribbon Coalition’s mission to make the lakefront more accessible for recreational purposes. The transformation of the lakefront from an industrialized area to a space for people to enjoy reflects the changing priorities of our area and its residents. The Green Ribbon Coalition’s efforts to create parks and recreational areas along the lakefront align with the evolving needs of the community and contribute to the ongoing transformation of Cleveland’s lakefront.